One of the key measures adopted in the framework of the 3rd driving licence Directive 2006/126/EC was the creation of the AM category valid for driving mopeds. This category comprises two-wheel vehicles or three-wheel vehicles with a maximum design speed of 45 km/h and light quadricycles (unladen mass <350 kg and maximum design speed ≤ 45 km/h)
The minimum age for issuing an AM category licence is 16, though it may be lowered to 14 or raised to 18. In order to obtain an AM category licence, candidates must pass a theory test, the content of which was not specified in Annex 2 of the 3rd Directive where minimum requirements for driving tests were set out. Member States may also require that candidates pass a skills and behaviour test in order to grant a licence.
The purpose of introducing this new category of licence and its related tests is to achieve better control of moped users and increase their awareness on road safety obligations. Some States had already introduced specific provisions in their regulations with regard to training; others have not yet done so.
We therefore need to get an accurate picture of the present situation within the European Union and learn lessons from the best practices already in place and their impact on the number and severity of the accidents reported among this particularly vulnerable category of road users.
Please note that this is a member-only event. Should you need additional information, please feel free to contact Daniel Vandenberghe.
- Fee: The event is free-of-charge.
- Location: Please note that the venue has changed. Now to be held at Sheraton Brussels Hotel (see information for participants).
- Accommodation: Please note that workshop participants are responsible for making their room reservation. Please download the Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre registration form (in pdf).
- Deadline: The deadline for hotel registrations is 20 January 2012. 10 rooms will be available until Tuesday 31 January 2012. Please note that we cannot guarantee room availability / rate after this date!
- Working language: The working language will be English. Additional background reading material will be provided online closer to the event.